9.27.2013

Cancer...

I was reminded this week of my need to live every day as if it may be my last. 
To be thankful for the blessings in my life and the breath I take as I rise each morning. 
To give love and share joy and spread compassion, and mercy, and peace as I move through my day. 
To be humble and forgiving and to stop wanting more.
To Be life-giving, adding to, not taking from, others.

You see, we are all here to inspire and live and give life as if we only have today to make a positive impact, because we are all dying, and the person you frowned at, yelled at, ignored, hung up on, disrespected, or disregarded, may not be here tomorrow.
My dear friend Laura (age 48) was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and it has now metastasized into her brain. She had a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery, was declared cancer-free! But about a month later, she got a headache that just wouldn't go away. Now, she has been confronted with the worst news possible, yet she still remains amazingly positive in her outlook and encourages me to live for today. 

Laura recently wrote:
"Here is what the doctors have said: there is no cure at this point, whatever treatment we do now is administered as a means to extend my life by as much as possible. These tumors will continue to come back and will, most likely travel down my spinal column, at which point the prognosis is not good. We don't know when that will happen, could be months or could be years. The treatment we will start with is focal radiation (like I had in July that completely shrunk my tumor). The plan is to do 6 months of pill-form chemo and see if that keeps the tumors at bay. We may at some point decide to do Whole Brain radiation which will effect my quality of life dramatically.
However, here is what I know and place my hope in: God is bigger than this and knows the timing of my life. I believe that we all should live as if we are dying...I happen to know what it is that I am dying from but that doesn't change how I live, just the ferocity with which I live it. He is bigger, He is stronger, He gives me fresh oil for every day.
Today, love people! Not just the ones you love but also the unlovely ones and the ones you disagree with. Be generous and choose a smile today. Now go...do that...because you have today to do it!"

So I ask myself...
How are you living today?
Are you focused on your own happiness...  at the expense of others?
Are you giving?  or taking?
Contributing? or contaminating?
What impact are you making on others?
Did you apologize? forgive? or make things right?
What legacy will you leave?
How will you be remembered by those who knew you best?

It's not too late.... you have today.



No comments:

Post a Comment